Tuesday, September 18, 2007

2nd Annual N. Bend to Roslyn on Gravel

Zach called me Sunday morning about 8AM and asked if I was ready for rain. I figured since we had plans made, I better at least go to North Bend and check it out. It was just a little misty in Renton so I figured it would be ok. Nope. It was raining. Really raining in North Bend. We suited up and checked the doppler radar, thought we might still be able to pull it off and headed out the door.

The rain quickly changed to a drizzle, and then to just a light mist. I took off my jacket and was comfortable in tights and a jersey.

We passed a couple of huge groups of folks coming down the trail. Shuttlers with kids mostly. My headlamp held out through the entire 2.6 mile tunnel and we reached the other side still hoping for sun. It appeared to come out for a second, but then the rain came again and continued for about 45 minutes until we were past Lake Keechelus. We had a nice tail wind and let it drive us right past our exit on Bull Frog road. Instead we rode into Cle Elum and back tracked on Hwy 903 to Roslyn. The wind heading that direction was ugly. I was cranking as hard as I could and I think we barely made 14mph.

A shot of Jack and a pint of brew at the Brick cured my cold feet. Wife and daughter arriving an hour later to drive me home was perfect. Big thanks to T&T without whom this ride would not have been possible.

Here's a scary video Zach shot:



Date: Sept 16
Mileage: 63
Ride type/Bike: Railtrail/Tricross
Sept Miles: 176
Year to date mileage: 2148

Date: Sept 13
Mileage: 11
Ride type/Bike: LYL/Tricross
Sept Miles: 113
Year to date mileage: 2085

Date: Sept 12
Mileage: 24
Ride type/Bike: Road/Allez
Sept Miles: 102
Year to date mileage: 2074

Date: Sept 10
Mileage: 6
Ride type/Bike: Gravel Hill Repeats/ Tricross
Sept Miles: 78
Year to date mileage: 2050

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scary! Maybe next year we time it to spend the night in Roslyn to run the 5K the next morning.

Z

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home