Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Cashmere's Canyons

Monday morning I drove over to Cashmere in an attempt to find some sunshine. I was successful on the sun part, but it was still mighty cold at least in the AM.

I arrived Monday afternoon and decided to ride my cross bike up Mission Creek just to see how things were looking. I made it to the Sand Creek parking lot just fine, but only a mile or so past there was too much snow for a cross bike. Most of the north facing slopes still have plenty of white stuff.

Tuesday I decided to be smart and go for a southern exposure. I climbed to the top of the pavement, and then to the top of the dirt road up Naham Canyon topping out at around 3200 feet. It was all clear till I hit the top and then I was only able to go a couple of miles before the road became covered in a couple of feet of snow.

Today I figured I hit all the other canyons in Cashmere just for good luck. I took off on the cross bike and headed up Yaxum Canyon. The pavement on Yaxum ends after just 3 miles and 500' of climbing. Since this was so short, I figured I better hit Mission Creek again. After that I headed up to the end of Brender, and then made the quick side jaunt to the end of Briskey. It was a pretty mellow day. About 28 miles and just over 2000' of climbing. Since Google just released a new interface into Google maps, I thought I'd map out for you here.

The Hitching Post Tavern across the highway from Cashmere still has great burgers and cheap beer. The Cashmere Brewery is open again Wed - Saturday and they make some killer brews, I'm particularly partial to their IPA. They don't have food though. All the peanuts you can eat, but you better eat something elsewhere if you have just done a long ride. Country Boy's BBQ is excellent, as well as the Mexican food place across the Highway next to the Hitching Post.

Date: April 4
Mileage: 28
Ride type/Bike: Road/Tricross
April Miles: 63
Year to date mileage: 540

Date: April 3
Mileage: 17
Ride type/Bike: Road-Dirt Road/Pisgah
April Miles: 35
Year to date mileage: 512

Date: April 2
Mileage: 18
Ride type/Bike: Road-Dirt Road/Tricross
April Miles: 18
Year to date mileage: 495

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home